I finally had some time during the holidays to play around with Wine. I originally planned on installing Photoshop Elements to play around with it, but since it required an installation of Internet Explorer I decided to install it too. The Sidenet wine configuration utility was an invaluable help it did the job well after I updated my Wine install to the latest version (20041201).
Now I can finally debug websites under development with in IE without having to use another computer (i.e. Windows box) to run it. But it does feel somewhat odd to run IE on Linux, yet it’s also quite satisfying.
P.S. When configuring font paths to get Photoshop to work, remember to check if the global preferences are being read as well. It may save you a day or two of debugging time. Sometimes I feel so stupid.
Update 14.4.2005: I tested installing multiple IE versions on Linux. Short version: it works.