Multilingual site development: Part I language detection

The writing of this post has been on my back-burner for months now. In fact, ever since the I re-implemented Anna’s comic’s publishing system. I was finally kicked into documenting what I did by Asterisk’s latest post. I’ll probably write a series of entries dealing with the development of multilingual sites. I won’t concentrate on the usability issues that are inherent as there is already much documentation and discussion on such matters.

These posts will be much more technical and dig into how we can possibly implement multi-lingual sites that work without splash-pages (select your language before proceeding) or users ending up on pages in gobbly-gook (from their perspective) and hunting for a link to switch languages with. So, on with the techical details and nit-picking.

Silence

The silence in this space has been a direct result of the other blog I’m writing for. It started as coursework but will continue. And it’s all in Finnish.

But I will continue writing about all matters geeky, doggy, and whatnot in this space as well.

And we spent some time on vacation, away from computers, near Alice.