Well, Saturday’s already two weeks behind us. We went from rocking away to spending the next day at a dog show
(pictures). I have to admit, I was a bit beat.
Once we got home on Sunday I started to clear my memory cards (luckily I took a backup of 2×512 MB in addition to the 10 GB
I was originally taking). I started out with the borrowed 4 GB Extreme III which immediately started to cause problems.
Importing directly into Lightroom kept failing (device disconnected) after importing a varying amount of pictures. I tried
every trick I know and nothing worked…
So in desperation I decided to first empty all of the other cards, which went without a hitch. And at the same time I
noticed a little detail: the 4GB Extreme III is rated at 30 Mb/s where my own 2GB Extreme IIIs are 20 Mb/s. Apparently my
memory card reader overflows with the rate of data and drops out. Or then its my Mac (which sounds odd). But geeking
with the command line and copying files in increments and ejecting the card after each increment (100 pictures each) let me
get all the pictures. All was safe.
And there went the time that I’d allocated for a little nap next Anna. Sometimes I hate computers ;)
All in all, I took 1407 pictures during the day. Maybe a bit too much, but I’ve learned that expressions and lighting change fast and thus taking several shots of any given situation is worth it.
My first cull lead to deleting 194 absolutely useless shots. I kept many that are unsharp etc. just because they are memories for us. I’ve now finally started to go through each band that I shot and make my selections. So stay posted for updates as my editing progresses.