This has been a peculiar year as we’ve had the opportunity to have two live fire exercises followed by controlled burns of the buildings once we are done exercising. The house this time was a traditional post-war single family home that often has livable areas in the basement and top floor but they could be initially left unfinished.
We only used the ground floor during our exercise since the second floor was much too open to burn in a controlled fashion. The basement was left untouched due to safety concerns.
I also had a GoPro attached to my helmet, but our first attack (in which I was participating and not photographing) was so hot that my helmet and the GoPro housing took quite a bit of damage. The fact that it was so hot also meant that I got about five seconds of usable footage before the world went dark from smoke. If nothing else, that footage can serve as an excellent example of what the reality of entering a burning building is like when compared to what is seen in movies and TV.
Whenever we at the fire department get a chance to burn down a house that would otherwise be torn down, we jump at the opportunity. Burning a real building and exercising technique on how to move and put out structural fires is always better when the location real.
Admittedly, we held the exercise two months ago so these pictures have been a long time coming. This time I also had a GoPro attached to my helmet shooting video footage from inside the structure. Editing that will probably take another two months knowing me ;)
BTW, if there is any interest for any of these images as a wallpaper, give me a shout and I’ll see what I can do.
And as a final installment of images from the house fire exercise we had a month ago, some of my favorites of the fire as seen from outside of the building.
Remember also the previous installments of the timelapse and a look at the inside of a burning building.
Some interior shots from the housefire exercise we had earlier this month. I definitely wasn’t planning on using my 7D inside the house, but because the 30D’s batteries decided to die on me despite being charged the previous evening, I had to take it in. But it was worth it…
Also remember the timelapse of the house burning down.